Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What an Honour!

As you know I'm stitching BK&BT as a SAL with Melissa. She's brought to my attention that Brenda, who designed this chart, has mentioned our SAL on her blog! How cool is that and what an honour to have this mentioned in such a way. Now the pressure's on, Melissa. :)

Anyway, I'm trying my best to keep up and hold my end of the bargain. I'm just glad we chose to do this while I'm on annual leave from work and Melissa herself is on a break. Actually I think a SAL is good every once in a while. It really drives you to want to stitch more. I surely wouldn't have done this much in a short space of time if it wasn't for Melissa, so thank you my stitching buddy! She has since got a bit further with hers as she's now working on the tree and man.


This is where I got to after yesterday's session through the afternoon/evening.

BE KIND & BE TRUE - 22 February (SAL with Melissa)

Melissa and I are both working with one thread. The original design calls for two on a 32ct fabric. Since we're working on 35ct we thought the one thread would be enough. You could quite easily do two threads on either count though. We'll call ours the more primitive or frugal version shall we say. :)


I'd really love to finish mine off with walnut crystals as Brenda has hers, to give it that aged look. Has anyone used this technique and how did it turn out? What would be the best way to do it? I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas.


So as I head off for another session of this wonderful sampler, I hope you're all having fun with what ever your working on. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Melissa said...

I love those little putford scissors with the strawberry fob. They look great, along with the brown box too. I gotta get me one of those!

Lovely progress, Jane! I would be interested to see what response you get from others about the walnut crystals. I was thinking of doing something similar too! What fun!

Annie Bee said...

It looks great. Such beautiful pictures too.

Petites xxx et Cie said...

Your stitching is lovely. I prefer to stitch with one thread on 35 ct linen, it's look like more refined and soft...
Take care & happy stitching
Françoise

Valerie said...

Your BK&BT is lovely! I agree, SAL's just help to "get it done!" I like that you used one thread...I think that it makes is more "authentic!" I have never heard of using walnut crystals before but I am looking forward to finding out how!

Valerie

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

Great progress, Jane! How cool to have it mentioned on the designer's blog.

As always, I love your photography and "staging". I really wish I had your creative talent!

Lesleyanne said...

Great progress. How exciting to be mentioned on the designer's blog. Congrats.

Unknown said...

Jane, talk to Deb, she used the walnut crystals recently and it turned out beautifully. I saw where Brenda had mentioned your SAL, what a huge compliment. Can't wait to see more progress from you gals.

Enjoy your day.

Unknown said...

Jane, talk to Deb, she used the walnut crystals recently and it turned out beautifully. I saw where Brenda had mentioned your SAL, what a huge compliment. Can't wait to see more progress from you gals.

Enjoy your day.

Deb said...

Jane, you piece looks great as always. I just used walnut ink crystals on a piece yesterday and really like the way it turned out. Just a word to the wise though, if you've ever used tea to stain something, the walnut crystals come out darker. I followed the directions (1/8 tsp to 1-1/2 cups water) and it made a dark solution. I blotted it on but may have gone overboard (there is a picture on my blog). If I was to do it again, I'd blot in a couple places, dry in the oven and then look at it again to add what I wanted. But overall, I was pleased. And you can store all the extra solution for later use.

Catherine said...

I am loving this piece - the colors are so pretty!

I saw Brenda's blog yesterday - so fun that she mentioned you two!

Peonies & Magnolias said...

Beautiful and I love the colors. Those little scissors are so neat.

Sandy

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

What fantastic progress you both are making! I think I have to order this chart now!! Beautiful pictures as always and yep, I saw you mentioned on Brenda's site - you're both even more famous, now!

Jane said...

Thanks Deb, for letting me know about the walnut crystals. I think I should give it a go.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful encouragement!

Nicole said...

Beautiful progress on BK&BT! That was so neat that Brenda mentioned you two in her blog!! :)